Monday, April 25, 2011

Running on Fumes

If you're about to run out of gas, the best thing to do is slow way down to conserve fuel so that you can make it to the next station. This is not easy for those of us who are 'go-getters' and who like to make things happen. Stopping to get gas is just a drag sometimes.

Have you ever noticed that if you don't heed God's instructions to rest, that He will often find a way to 'force' you to rest and recharge? This has happened to me recently, hence the lack of blog posts. I had some health issues come up that slowed me down. In hindsight, I am really really grateful for the wake up call. I feel like I was comparable to a car who was just filling up here and there a few bucks at a time (as many folks are doing now literally due to the terribly high gas prices!) and not getting my regular oil changes. This wears a car out, right? It will eventually 'conk', as did I.

The thing about God is that He is utterly concerned about our health, and very much concerned about our spiritual health. Sometimes we can push so hard in life--even good things to please God and benefit His kingdom that we are physically, spiritually and emotionally worn out and exhausted.

God Himself is the source of all life. He is the life out of which everything else flows. Jesus gave us the example of the vine and the branches. He is the vine and we are the branches (John 15:5) Rest is just one of the ways we receive the life of God. Why is it that we feel like rest is a luxury and that we are irresponsible and 'lazy' if we rest on a regular basis? What would it be like to yield to Christ and rest as He prescribes in His Word? 'Be Still and Know that I am God?" Ps. 46:10.

In 1 Kings 19:11-12 God spoke to Elijah in a cave and said,

“Go out and stand on the mountain in the presence of the LORD, for the LORD is about to pass by.”
Then a great and powerful wind tore the mountains apart and shattered the rocks before the LORD, but the LORD was not in the wind. After the wind there was an earthquake, but the LORD was not in the earthquake. 12 After the earthquake came a fire, but the LORD was not in the fire. And after the fire came a gentle whisper.

To hear that whisper and be restored, refreshed, and recharged for the tasks God has for us, we have to:

--settle down
--shut out all the drama
--quiet our hearts
--yield to Him
--choose to FOLLOW and submit to His plan

When you run out of gas, there are very few options left to do things your way. You are no longer in control of going the direction you set out for. You are in a desperate state. In need of rescue, in need of power to continue on. This is where I am and there is no place I'd rather be. I invite you to join me and yield to God. His ways are higher than ours and His plan will always prevail! I'm excited to have finally 'run out of gas' so that I can truly follow Him on the course He sets for me and my future. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment